Leadhills Railway logoLeadhills and Wanlockhead Railway

Locomotives

The current locomotives based at Leadhills are:

No 2 Elvan               (28hp Motor Rail Simplex 9792 built 1955) which arrived in March 1986,

No 4 Luce                (32hp Ruston & Hornsby 7002/0467/6 built 1966) which arrived in November 1987.

No 5 Little Clyde     (Ruston & Hornsby 7002/0467/2 also built in 1966) arrived in November 1987,

No 6 Clyde               (Hunslet 6347 built in 1975) which arrived in January 1990.

No 8 Nith                 (Hudswell Clarke DM1002 built in 1956) which arrived in June 1998.

No 10 Mennock      (Hunslet ‘tunnelling’ loco LD9348 built in 1993.) Mennock was purchased by a group of members of the railway in 2003.

No 12 Clayton         (No. 1819B or D) The loco was rescued for preservation in August 1994.


However, in the shed are two narrow gauge steam locomotives:

No 9 Charlotte, an Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0WT (OK6335/13). Purchased by a member in 1994 and imported from Belgium, the loco has been in store since.

A Decauville 0-4-0T 917/1915. 917 was purchased in May 2005 by its present owner and arrived at Leadhills on 20th August 2005.

It is however, unlikely that either of these two steam locos will be restored to working order in the near future.

For detailed info on our locos, select the loco from the information menu